A lot of people love the look of hardwood flooring, but the feeling isn’t universal. Some prefer the softness of carpet and others prefer the affordability of laminate. If you already have hardwood flooring in your Kansas City home, you might be tempted to cover it up with a different flooring option. It might not be in your best interest, though. There are a lot of reasons we encourage homeowners to keep their hardwood flooring!
Why Homeowners Choose to Cover Up Their Hardwood Flooring
While for some homeowners it could be considered scandalous to cover up a beautiful hardwood floor, for others they can’t wait to get rid of the wood. Here are some of the most common reasons people get rid of or cover up their hardwood floors:
- They don’t like the noise: Hardwood can be noisy because there is little there to absorb the sound of dog claws or high heeled shoes. This can especially be an issue when hardwood is used on the upper floors when it can carry the noise to the floors below.
- They don’t like the upkeep: Hardwood floors don’t require a lot of upkeep but they do require some. For those looking to make their home as maintenance-free as possible, getting rid of hardwood is the first step.
- They prefer the softness and warmth of carpet: There is no denying that carpet can be softer to walk on and a warmer place to put your toes first thing in the morning. Rugs just might not cut it for some homeowners who prefer wall-to-wall carpeting instead.
- They feel the color doesn’t go with their belongings: Replacing hardwood floors could be a purely aesthetic choice. Homeowners might feel that the wood on their floors is simply too light or too dark to go with their belongings.
- The hardwood needs repairs: In this case, homeowners may find that the cost to repair their hardwood flooring is more than it will cost them to simply install a different flooring type. Before you make that choice, though, talk to a professional like JRK Flooring to get a free estimate on refinishing hardwood flooring so you know for sure how much it’s going to cost.
Why You Might Want to Keep Those Hardwood Floors
The main reason we encourage people to keep their hardwood floors in place is because it can greatly increase the resale value of their home. While you might not be thinking about selling right now, there is a good chance that you will be at some point in the future. When that time comes, you’ll be glad that you have hardwood floors. Your flooring could be a huge selling point for your property and give you a competitive advantage over other homes on the market. Buyers are eager to have hardwood floors and you might regret replacing them with carpet.
Diverse Decor Options.
Even if you aren’t in love with your hardwood floors, you have to admit they give you plenty of options. When you opt for hardwood over something like carpet, you can change out your decor whenever you like. Once you pick a carpet, though, you are stuck with it until you pay to replace it. Hardwood is easily covered with large rugs that can add the warmth you want in your room without sacrificing the quality of the flooring material. Plus, if you decide the change the look of your room, it’s as simple as changing your rug!
It Could be Better for Your Health
Hardwood flooring could actually be better for your health. Carpeting can trap allergens within its fibers, releasing them into the air every time you walk across the surface. New carpets can also release VOCs, toxic vapors that can contribute to a range of health problems and pollute your indoor air. If you or a member of your household suffer from allergies, asthma, or other breathing issues, you might want to consider sticking to the hardwood.
Have questions about whether or not you should keep the hardwood flooring in your Kansas City home? We can help. Call JRK Flooring or get in touch with us through our website and we’ll give you a free estimate on the cost of refinishing your floors. You might find it’s a worthy investment in your home!