We know that you love your beige carpeting and are reluctant to get rid of it. The advantages of having a hardwood floor are many and the ease of maintenance is incredible. That being said, it is always a good idea to create a list when making a decision about whether or not to replace your carpet with hardwood floors. JRK Flooring has compiled a list of hardwood flooring and carpeting, examining them both. It is ultimately, up to you to decide what is right for you and your home but here is our list:
Hardwood Vs. Carpeting
- Ease of maintenance: Carpet is soft and it is fairly easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner. Hardwood floors, in their own right, are equally as easy to clean; the issue with hardwood floors is the sweeping and mopping that goes along with cleaning them. The daily maintenance of a hardwood floor is more time consuming than running a vacuum cleaner over the carpet. Advantage: Carpet.
- Cleanliness: Hardwood floors are a smooth surface and can resist stains, bacteria growth and are not as likely to have foreign particles lodged in them. Carpet on the other hand is a bunch of fibers woven together and backed by a big sponge. Think about all of the nasty little buggers that can find a spot to hide in a place like that. If you have ever pulled up old carpet you know that the padding tells the story of spills, pet urine and who knows what else. Advantage: Hardwood Floors.
- Aesthetics: Sure your orange shag carpeting looks awesome and your retro credibility is through the roof. But really when you walk into a room do you ever say, “Wow the carpet looks amazing!” Not so much. Carpet may have its advantages but hardwood flooring is a timeless expression of class. You could put hardwood floors in a gas station restroom and people would compliment it. Hardwood floors are clearly the way to accent the rest of your home with the natural beauty of wood. Advantage: Hardwood Floors.
- Sustainability: If you are a person that is concerned with the environment, hardwood floors are hands-down the most eco-friendly option. Wood floors are made from sustainable sources and can even be recycled. Carpet on the other hand may be made completely of synthetics and may give off harmful vapors as it deteriorates. Hardwood flooring materials such as bamboo and cork are extremely eco-friendly and look gorgeous as well. Advantage: Hardwood Floors.
- Durability: Carpet, due to its nature does not last as long as carpet. Hardwood floors can be resurfaced and are much easier to repair than carpet. Their lifespan is much longer than carpet and they are never going to rip or show their age as much as carpet. Advantage: Hardwood Floors.
- Cost: The cost factor of a hardwood floor is directly related to its durability and installation. Carpet is very easy to install quickly, making it much cheaper as compared to hardwood floors. As they say however, you get what you pay for. Hardwood floors are much more complex to install but over the long run they will last a very long time. Advantage: Tie
- Home Value: This is an easy one. Hardwood floors add value to your home. The expense is completely worth it when it comes to selling your home. Advantage: Hardwood Floors.
JRK Flooring is Kansas City’s premier hardwood flooring installer, refinisher and repair contractor. If you would like to explore your options of installing hardwood floors please give us a call today! We also are Kansas City’s experts for restoring your hardwood flooring. If you think your floor may be too far gone, give us a call and we will be able to give you a free estimate. Don’t cover up that old hardwood floor restore it!