Your home floors hold up just about everything you own. Whether it's a variety of furniture, the appliances you use everyday, or simply staying sturdy as you walk over them time and time again, your f…Read More
Hardwood Floor Installation and Replacement
Why You Should Install Hardwood Floors
For many, the cost of installing hardwood floors can be a costly investment that seems daunting. While it can be a large investment upfront, hardwood floors pay themselves off in more ways than one. Some of those ways include:
- The aesthetic value hardwood provides to your home: Hardwood floors are a hallmark for floor coverings because the wood can be styled to fit your home, whether it’s elegant or rustic. The floor can easily match the interior of your home and will complement your interior decorations no matter what your style is.
- Easy to clean: Hardwood floors are very easy to clean because they do not accumulate a lot of dirt, dust, and debris that carpets do. There is no need to lug around a clunky vacuum to clean your floor. All you need is a broom and a mop and you’re good to go! Just don’t forget to go with the grain. Plus, you can’t stain hardwood floors the same way you can stain a carpet, giving you more room for error.
- Better indoor air quality: Hardwood floors are a great choice for interior environments because they have no grout lines, fibers, or embossing that can trap allergens, dust particles, animal dander, and pollen. Carpets trap all of those particles, so you are inherently breathing them in.
- They are long-lasting and cost-effective: Hardwood floors are easy to maintain, are extremely durable, and provide better air quality. While they seem like an expensive purchase, consider the fact that they are easier to clean and are less likely to be damaged. This reduces your cleaning and repair costs over the years. Because hardwood floors are so durable, they can literally last for generations, saving you money for flooring installation.
When to Replace Your Hardwood Floors
For many people, replacing their hardwood floors may be unnecessary. All your floor may need is a refinish, which we do as well! But there is, however, the damage that cannot be refinished away. You may need to get your hardwood floor replaced if there is:
- Structural damage: If the structure of your home is being threatened, it needs to be addressed directly and as soon as possible. To be addressed directly, however, the floor needs to be ripped out so the frame can be examined. If you have underfloor damage, you may not be able to sand and refinish your existing floor anyway.
- Movement: A floor with boards that move and wiggle is not something you want to keep around, and trying to refinish them will make the problem worse. If you try to refinish a floor that has a lot of movement, you will end up with bigger gaps between the floorboards and a mess from the refinishing process.
- Severe hardwood flooring damage: While some hardwood floor damage can be solved with a refinishing, there is some damage that would have devastating effects on the integrity and life of your hardwood floor. Some things that you should look out for include warping, chipping, and termite infestation. Trying to repair some of this damage little by little would be cumbersome and taxing — a replacement would be more than necessary.
- Extreme Wear: Some of the great things about hardwood floors is their durability and longevity. Extreme wear from being refinished one too many times can lead to grooves in the planks and nails. Even if you can only see this damage in some areas of the floor, there is no doubt that sanding down your floor will reveal more problems, making replacement a necessary option.
Your floor is a unique part of the home; you walk on it every day, watch your kids grow up on it, and it provides the foundation for your everyday life. It is a part of our home that withstands a lot of stress and damage, but sometimes it is the least of our concerns. Your floor is a vital part of your home, and maintaining it can do great things for the structural integrity and aesthetic value in your home. When it is time to show your floor some attention, call JRK Flooring. We specialize in the installation, repair, refinishing, and replacement of your hardwood floor. We care about providing our neighbors with an unrivaled product at an exceptional value. Call JRK Flooring for a quote today!